Star Fleet Battles Tournament at Council of Five Nations - Adventure Gaming Convention
Star Fleet Battles Tournament
Council of Five Nations XXXV
Council of Five Nations XXXV is coming this October 5-7. Once again, we are poised to host the biggest and best Face-to-Face Star Fleet Battles Tournament in the whole world! We consistently get attendance in the high 20s to 30s.
We pamper our loyal SFB crowd with a nice private SFB room all weekend, the best room in the facility.
The Council CupThe Council Cup is a tradition we began in 2009. It memorializes the names and ships of all the Council of Five Nations SFB tournament winners going all the way back to 2002, when we held our first full Star Fleet Battles tournament of the new-era Councils.
Here is the list of all the winners that currently appear engraved on the trophy:
- 2002 - Brian Evans - Romulan TKR
- 2003 - Paul Scott - Hydran
- 2004 - Tim Sheehy - Hydran
- 2005 - Peter Bakija - Gorn
- 2006 - Stephen McCann - WYN Aux (11g1)
- 2007 - Kevin Block-Schwenk - Romulan TKR
- 2008 - Jason Gray - Romulan TKR
- 2009 - Paul Scott - Federation TCC with G-Rack
- 2010 - Bill Schoeller - Klingon
- 2011 - Stephen McCann - ISC
Tournament AttendanceAs usual, we are compiling a list of the players we know will be coming, and the certainty of their attendance. You will see below what we've heard so far.
If you're thinking about attending, please email us at sfb /at/ swa-gaming.org and tell us your (Committed / Probable / Maybe) status so we can add you to the list. If you're already on one of these lists, but your status is changing, please let us know that too.
Hey, if we've got a guy coming in from Colorado in a private plane, you can get there too!
- Steve McCann [New Jersey] - Council Cup Champion
- Marcus Giegerich [New Jersey]
- Brook Villa [New Jersey]
- Chris Dixon [New Jersey]
- Ed Slusarek [New Jersey]
- Joe Stevenson [New Jersey] - Council SFB First-Timer
- Peter Bakija [Ithaca] - Council Cup Champion
- Courtenay Footman [Ithaca]
- Ben Kalb [Ithaca]
- Brian Evans [Syracuse] - Council Cup Champion
- Carl Herzog [NY] - Council SFB First-Timer
- Tos Crawford [Downstate NY]
- Brett Johnson [New Hampshire]
- Troy Williams [Nevada] - Long Distance Repeat Customer!
- Tom Compter [Vermont]
- Chuck Davis [Vermont] -
Welcome back! He's been away for years.
- Kevin Block-Schwenk [Massachusetts] - Council Cup Champion
- Ron Pilotte [Maine]
- Tim Sheehy [Pennsylvania] - Council Cup Champion
- Ken Lin [Ohio] - Council SFB Long Distance First-Timer
- David Zimdars [Michigan] - Council SFB Long Distance First-Timer
- William Wilson [Colorado] - Council SFB Long Distance First-Timer
- Andy Vancil [Colorado] - Council SFB Long Distance First-Timer
- Bill Schoeller [Texas] - Long Distance Council Cup Champion
- Paul Scott [California] - Long Distance Council Cup Champion
- John Rigley [SWA]
- Mike Rogozinski [SWA]
- Doug Riggi [SWA] - Council SFB First-Timer
- Mike Sanchez [SWA via Las Vegas] - Council SFB First-Timer
- Nate Whitchurch [SWA]
- Eric Paperman [SWA]
- Nick Klercker [SWA]
- Ben Maggi [SWA] - Council SFB First-Timer
- Dave Cheng [SWA]
- Ken Stuart [Ithaca]
- Andrew Sackett [Ithaca via New Jersey]
- Jeannie Compter [Vermont]
- Peter Landry [Massachusetts]
- Ben Ossenfort [SWA]
- Dage McNitt [SWA]
- John Behnken [NY]
- Jeff Hillebrandt [NY]
- Shane Bogardus [Syracuse]
- Chris Proper [Ithaca]
- Andy Koch [Rochester]
- Robert Bassett [Rochester]
- Mike Johnson [Ohio]
- David Schultz [Florida]
- Jude Hornborg [Canada]
- Orbis Proszynski [Canada]
- Tim Linden [Canada]
- Lee Larsen [Canada]
- Brendan Lally [Canada - Alberta]
- Dave Brereton [Canada - BC]
- Geoff Conn [Canada - BC]
- Jason Murphy [SWA]
- Bernard Bryant [SWA]
- Aaron Cordes [SWA]
Ken Kazinski [Syracuse, NY]
The tournament officially starts at 10am on Friday, October 5th. In fact, we're starting the con early just so SFB players can get in as many games as possible. The rest of the events don't start until 2pm.
A bunch of us locals will be there when the doors open. However, you do not need to be there that early to participate. We expect another wave of guys on Friday night after dinner, and yet another bunch on Saturday morning when the doors open at 8am.
See below for the details of the open Patrol round and finals bracket.
Most people on the three lists above have at least a solid knowledge of the rules and has played several games (a bunch of folks listed have Ace Cards). However, we know we'll have several players who are more at the novice level. We strongly encourage everyone to attend, whatever your experience level. We will try to pair you with players who can coach as you go along.
- Times are tough for a lot of people. Our rent went up, but
we're keeping prices flat to last year, just as we've done for three
years in a row.
- Students get roughly a 50% discount on their registration.
- Groups of 3+ who pre-register in the same envelope, or together online, get $5 off each one.
- October 5-7 is Columbus Day Weekend. All
our local State workers have Columbus Day Monday off from work. Maybe
you do too, making it even easier to justify going to a con?
Please send an email to sfb /at/ swa-gaming.org and we'll get 'em answered.
- Starts at 10am on Friday
- Finals will start at 7pm on Saturday evening.
- Play as many games as you want
- You must play at least two
patrol games to qualify for the finals bracket.
- Tournament Judge will assign matches by availability and blind draw.
Finals participants determined by a three-step process:
- Net wins
- Total number of games played
- Strength of record of opponents (if we have time to calculate
this), OR a simple die roll (if we're short on time), as per the
Tournament Judge's discretion.
- Quarterfinals (Top 8) at 7pm Saturday
- Semi-finals (Top 4) at 9am Sunday
- Finals at 2pm Sunday
- "Iron Man" = most Patrol round games played
- "Cosmic Hitchhiker" = the player who traveled the farthest to attend.
- "Nailbiter" = closest victory (fewest boxes left when opponent
- Most importantly, the winner will have their name engraved on the Council Cup, to be honored for time immemorial.
- We'll also have stuff from the Council prize stash.
- Maybe some other stuff.
Please click for the main Council general info page.
Please click to download the Council Pre-Registration packet in PDF format.
Please click to Pre-Register via the online form (with immediate PayPal or Credit Card payment).
Please click for the pre-registration booklet informational text (the stuff besides the event listings... see below).
Please click for Directions to Council of Five Nations.
Please click for the Council Hotels page.
Please click for the Council Parking page.
Pages highlighting our game events and special event tracks
Please click for the list of Kids games.
Please click for the listing of all the Historical Miniatures events.
Please click for the Star Fleet Battles tournament page.
Please click for the Board Game Geek Top 35 event track page.
Please click for the Train games event track.
Please click for the Horror games event track page.
Please click for the Science Fiction games event track page.
Please click for the Battleground: Fantasy & Historical Warfare event track page.
If you have any questions, please email us at Council /at/ swa-gaming.org
(Please replace the "/at/" with the typical "@" sign. We apologize for this anti-spam measure.)