The SWA is an Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of Upstate New York (Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga) since 1974. We sponsor monthly Game-a-thon game days and a 3-day convention, Council of Five Nations, every October.
Star Fleet Battles Tournament at Council of Five Nations - Adventure Gaming Convention
Star Fleet Battles Tournament
Star Fleet Universe Games
Council of Five Nations XXXVII
Last Update: Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Council of Five Nations XXXVII is coming this October 10-12. Once again, we are poised to host the biggest and best Face-to-Face Star Fleet Battles Tournament in the whole world! We consistently get attendance in the mid 20s to 30s.
We pamper our loyal SFB crowd with a nice private SFB room all weekend, the best room in the facility.
* New focus in 2014 -
the whole Star Fleet Universe *
With ADB announcing they will no longer attend Origins, we are making a
special effort to welcome all Star Fleet Universe gamers. We want
to expand our reach beyond tournament SFB. If you are a fan of
the following games, we would love to see you at Council this year and
many years into the future:
- Federation & Empire
- Star Fleet Miniatures
- Federation Commander
- A Call to Arms: Star Fleet
- Star Fleet Role-Play
- Non-tournament Star Fleet Battles
- Any and all Star Fleet Universe games!
Last year, we expanded our square footage by almost 50%. This allowed us to shift events around so that more of the ‘adult’ wargaming events were also on the 2nd floor, where SFB has been for years. We are ready to make this prime table space available to all members of the SFU community.
- Want to play a day-long (or weekend-long) SFB fleet battle?
- Want to play a series, or a weekend campaign, of SFB scenarios?
- Want to play a weekend-long F&E game?
- Want to run a series of Star Fleet RPG events?
- Want to set up a large table for your Star Fleet miniatures?
We are currently accepting event submissions. If you'd like to run an SFU game or two for us, we have some awesome GM incentives.
Please click here to see all the details. Events are due by Sunday, August 10th.
Final, Final call for GMs! We absolutely need your event submissions by Sunday, August 24th, 11pm EDT, in order for them to make it into the pre-reg booklet (thus guaranteeing you the full GM incentives).
Please click here to see all the GM event submission information, and to complete the online form.
* New for 2014 - The Take One Leave One Swap Table *
Thanks to some generous donations by SWA members, we have a big pile of
used SFB stuff. We've got some big plans for this pile of goodies.
New Players - Get Free Stuff
People new to Star Fleet gaming, who give it a try and like it, will get some free stuff to take with them. We're doing what we can to help grow new players.
Veteran Players - Swap Your Stuff
To those of you who already have a pile of Star Fleet gaming stuff, here is your chance to swap for something that you're looking for. Bring your stuff to trade, and swap for something of roughly equal value. We're not picky - this is all on the honor system.
The pile of stuff we have already is about 18" high. If we get some time we'll post a full inventory here on this page, and on other related internet forums (see links below). If you have stuff you'd like to donate, please bring it along.
The Council CupThe Council Cup is a tradition we began in 2009. It memorializes the names and ships of all the Council of Five Nations SFB tournament winners going all the way back to 2002, when we held our first full Star Fleet Battles tournament of the new-era Councils.
Here is the list of all the winners that currently appear engraved on the trophy:
- 2002 - Brian Evans - Romulan TKR
- 2003 - Paul Scott - Hydran
- 2004 - Tim Sheehy - Hydran
- 2005 - Peter Bakija - Gorn
- 2006 - Stephen McCann - WYN Aux (11g1)
- 2007 - Kevin Block-Schwenk - Romulan TKR
- 2008 - Jason Gray - Romulan TKR
- 2009 - Paul Scott - Federation TCC with G-Rack
- 2010 - Bill Schoeller - Klingon
- 2011 - Stephen McCann - ISC
- 2012 - Peter Bakija - Gorn
- 2013 - Brett Johnson - ISC
Tournament AttendanceAs usual, we are compiling a list of the players we know will be coming, and the certainty of their attendance. You will see below what we've heard so far.
It's early yet, so the list is just starting to grow. We will almost certainly get our typical mid-20s-to-low-30s in attendance; keeping us the biggest and best FtF SFB tournament in the whole world.
If you're thinking about attending, please email us at sfb /at/ swa-gaming.org and tell us your (Committed / Probable / Maybe) status so we can add you to the list. If you're already on one of these lists, but your status is changing, please let us know that too.
- Peter Bakija [Ithaca] - Council Cup Champion
- Courtenay Footman [Ithaca]
- Ben Kalb [Ithaca]
- Ken Stuart [Ithaca]
- Marcus Giegerich [New Jersey]
- Brook Villa [New Jersey]
- Ed Slusarek [New Jersey]
- Andy Koch [Rochester]
- Carl Herzog [NY]
- Brett Johnson [New Hampshire] - Council Cup Champion
- Ron Pilotte [Maine]
- Tim Sheehy [Pennsylvania] - Council Cup Champion
- Seth "Kingzilla" Shimanski [North Carolina] - Council First-Timer
- Ken "Old_School" Lin [Ohio] - Council First-Timer
- Bill Schoeller [Texas] - Council Cup Champion
- John Rigley [SWA]
- Mike Rogozinski [SWA]
- Doug Riggi [SWA]
- Dave Cheng [SWA]
- Andrew Sackett [Ithaca via New Jersey]
- Tos Crawford [Downstate NY]
- Chris Dixon [New Jersey]
- Barry Kirk - Pennsylvania
- Tom Compter [Vermont]
- Kevin Block-Schwenk [Massachusetts] - Council Cup Champion
- David Zimdars [Michigan]
- Brendon "Tartan Army" Lally - Council First-Timer
- Josh "Blackwind" Saxton [Arizona] - Council First-Timer
This is a list of guys who have attended in the past, talked about attending, had a friend mention they were thinking about attending, or that we know is thinking about attending because of our NSA-certified email monitoring software. We hope to promote many of them up to "Committed" or "Probable".
- John Behnken [NY]
- Jeff Hillebrandt [NY]
- Shane Bogardus [Syracuse]
- Chris Proper [Ithaca]
- Robert Bassett [Rochester]
- Joe Stevenson [New Jersey]
- William Wilson [Colorado]
- Andy Vancil [Colorado]
- Paul Scott [California]
- David Schultz [Florida]
- Jude Hornborg [Canada]
- Orbis Proszynski [Canada]
- Tim Linden [Canada]
- Lee Larsen [Canada]
- Dave Brereton [Canada - BC]
- Geoff Conn [Canada - BC]
- Aaron Cordes [SWA]
- Ben Ossenfort [SWA]
- Dage McNitt [SWA]
- Mike Sanchez [SWA]
- Nate Whitchurch [SWA]
- Eric Paperman [SWA]
The tournament officially starts at 9am on Friday, October 10th. This is a little earlier than past years, because we've expanded the whole con to three full slots on Friday (9-1, 2-6, 7-11).
A bunch of us locals will be there when the doors open. However, you do not need to be there that early to participate. We expect another wave of guys on Friday night after dinner, and yet another bunch on Saturday morning when the doors open at 8am.
See below for the details of the open Patrol round and finals bracket.
Most people on the three lists above have at least a solid knowledge of the rules and has played several games (a bunch of folks listed have Ace Cards). However, we know we'll have several players who are more at the novice level. We strongly encourage everyone to attend, whatever your experience level. We will try to pair you with players who can coach as you go along.
- Times are tough for a lot of people. Our rent went up, but
we're keeping prices flat to last year, just as we've done for three
years in a row.
- Students get roughly a 50% discount on their registration.
- Groups of 3+ who pre-register in the same envelope, or together online, get $5 off each one.
- October 10-12 is Columbus Day Weekend. All our local State workers have Columbus Day Monday off from work. Maybe you do too, making it even easier to justify going to a con?
You can follow the latest online discussion about the Council SFB tournament at the following sites:
The Star Fleet Battles Open Community Site - Specific discussion forum about the Star Fleet Battles tournament at Council of Five Nations 37:
The ADB Star Fleet Universe BBS
(Click "Company-Conventions-Stores-Ideas", then "Convention News (Multi Games)", then "Council of Five Nations".
Please send an email to sfb /at/ swa-gaming.org and we'll get 'em answered.
(Please replace the "/at/" with the typical "@" sign. We apologize for this anti-spam measure.)
Tournament Format and Rules
- Starts at 9am on Friday
- Finals will start at 7pm on Saturday evening.
- Play as many games as you want
- You must play at least two
patrol games to qualify for the finals bracket.
- Tournament Judge will assign matches by availability and blind draw.
Finals participants determined by a three-step process:
- Net wins
- Total number of games played
- Strength of record of opponents (if we have time to calculate
this), OR a simple die roll (if we're short on time), as per the
Tournament Judge's discretion.
- Quarterfinals (Top 8) at 7pm Saturday
- Semi-finals (Top 4) at 9am Sunday
- Finals at 2pm Sunday
- "Iron Man" = most Patrol round games played
- "Cosmic Hitchhiker" = the player who traveled the farthest to attend.
- "Nailbiter" = closest victory (fewest boxes left when opponent
- Most importantly, the winner will have their name engraved on the Council Cup, to be honored for time immemorial.
- We'll also have stuff from the Council prize stash.
- Maybe some other stuff.
Please click for the main Council general info page.
Please click for Directions to Council of Five Nations.
Please click for the Council Hotels page.
Please click for the Council Parking page.
If you have any questions, please email us at Council /at/ swa-gaming.org
(Please replace the "/at/" with the typical "@" sign. We apologize for this anti-spam measure.)